This is great recipe for the Summer! No introductions necessary, it is just that good. Go ahead and smoke those eggs this weekend!
Smoked Armadillo Eggs
- 1 pound sausage meat (mild, spicy, breakfast, honey garlic, etc.)
- 5 jalapeno peppers
- ½ brick cream cheese (4 oz)
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Start up smoker and get it up to 250 F. Although you could use many different types of wood for this, hickory, pecan, or apple give the best results.
- To prepare the peppers, cut the top and core to remove seeds and membrane. Meanwhile, mix together the cream cheese and grated cheddar. Now, fill the cored peppers with the filling.
- Wrap some of the sausage around the pepper, making sure none of the pepper is visible. Then roll it so that it is in the shape of an egg.
When ready, place them on a smoker rack and into the smoker.
It takes about 2 hours, with temperature of the sausage meat at 160 F. When you notice cheese starting to bubble out of the eggs, it is likely done.
Serve and Enjoy!
By Steve Cylka