This is a very tasty variation of my original pepperoni sticks recipe. These are a great in between snack. You smoke them on the weekend and you will have a whole week of pepperoni sticks to look forward to as your in between lunch and breakfast snack. They are fairly easy to make.
Also, the spicy boar pepperoni sticks are great to serve at a party when cut in to small slices. Serve these with some cheese cubes, pickles and you’ll have a great snack platter!
1kg boar shoulder meat
300g beef (I used stew cuts)
4g black pepper
3.2g Cure #2
0.5g chili flakes (about ½ tsp)
3g anise seeds
0.8g Mondostart 2M culture
1. Cube and then finely grind boar & beef together
2. Weight out remaining ingredients and mix together
3. Mix together with meat until well combined (2-3minutes in a stand mixer on low speed should do the trick)
4. Stuff into 22mm collagen casings, I filled about 2 feet of casing at a time and pulled the casing off the stuffer, cut the end and twisted it into two pepperoni sticks and then tying off the open end so they were stuffed firmly
5. Ferment at 71F for 72 hours, 85-90% humidity
6. Cold smoke for 8 hours in your Bradley Smoker with whiskey oak Bradley bisquettes
7. Dry at 54-60F, 80-85% humidity, for 5-7 weeks (dry until you observe a weight loss of 30%) and then eat up!
By Lena Clayton