This creamy rice pudding recipe cooks on the stove-top, with the addition of smoked vanilla beans. Use apple or cherry bisquettes to smoke the vanilla beans.
Cook time 1 1/2 hours
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 3 cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup raisins
- Bradley Smoker Flavor Bisquettes (Apple or Cherry)
- Cut a slit down the length of the vanilla bean and use your fingers to open it up to reveal all the vanilla seeds.
- Start up the smoker, using wood bisquettes of your choice.
- Bring the smoker up to a temperature of 200°F.
- Place the vanilla bean on a sheet of foil and place foil on smoker rack. Smoke for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, add the milk, eggs, sugar and cinnamon. Use a knife to scrape the smoked vanilla seeds out of the bean pod and into the milk mixture. Whisk until the eggs are incorporated into the milk.
- Bring the cooked rice and the milk mixture to a very low boil. Lower heat to that it is barely boiling. Do not have it at too high a heat, as that could scald the milk.
- Stirring often, cook for 20-25 minutes. The rice should absorb much of the milk.
- Stir in the raisins and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove from the heat and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or cold and add extra milk if desired.