I am a big fan of Shepherd’s Pie. So, I decided to try this Smoked Turkey Shepherd’s Pie Recipe. It is comfort food at its best! This is a wonderful variation using a Hickory Smoked Turkey Breast. You can substitute Chicken for the Turkey.
This is also a good idea to use leftovers from your previous smoking. For example, you may use that dark meat from a chicken you had smoked, or any leftover chicken or turkey.
This makes a complete thanksgiving meal in one slice!
- 1+ lb cubed Hickory Smoked Turkey Breast
- 1 onion, chopped and sautéd
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (4 ounce) cans of mushrooms, with liquid
- 1 pkg Stove Top Stuffing, turkey or chicken (or use leftover stuffing)
- 12 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese (Costco Mexican style Blend)
- 8 cups mashed potatoes
- Preheat Pellet Smoker-Grill or oven to 350º F (175ºC)
- Spread stuffing in an even layer on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish
- Top with layer of cubed smoked turkey
- Top with sautéd onions and a layer of green beans
- Mix canned mushrooms, with liquid, and cream of mushroom soup
- Pour mixed cream of mushroom soup over the onion/green bean layer
- Scatter casserole with half the shredded Cheddar cheese
- Mix remaining shredded Cheddar cheese and mashed potatoes
- Top the casserole with the mashed potatoes
- Dot the mashed potatoes with a few pats of butter
- Bake for 45 to 70 minutes until heated through and bubbling
- Rest Smoked Turkey Shepherd’s Pie Casserole for 15 minutes before serving