Smoking fish is much faster than beef or other meats. So, it won’t take you long to prepare these tilapia fillets, as well as the remarkable sauce.
2 large grapefruits, peeled and quartered
1 inch ginger root, peeled and cut into small chunks
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tilapia fillets
1. Make the marinade by placing the quartered grapefruit, ginger, garlic, oil, fish sauce, brown sugar and salt into a food processor. Process until smooth and well blended.
2. In a large bowl, cover the tilapia fillets in the marinade. Turn the fish so they are completely coated. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about 2 hours.
3. Set the smoker to 275 F using wood bisquettes of choice (alder, pacific, apple).
4. Remove the tilapia fillets from the marinade and place them on a smoker rack and put the rack in the Bradley smoker. Smoke the fish until they reach an internal temperature of 145 F, about 2 hours.
5. If desired serve with stir fried vegetables and sprinkle with green onions.