Prep. time: 15 minutes (and an additional 4 hours of marinating)
- 1 pound cleaned smelt
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups appple juice
- 2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Bradley Flavor Bisquettes (Maple, Alder or Pacific Blend)
1. Mix together water and apple juice with salt, sugar and spices until the salt and brown sugar are dissolved.
2. Place the smelt in a dish and pour in the brine. Stir and cover with a plastic wrap. Place in the fridge and let the fish marinate for 4-6 hours.
3. Rinse the fish thoroughly and lay on smoker rack. Place the smelt in a cool dry place for 30-45 minutes to allow a pellicle to form on the outside of the fish. A fan can be used to speed up the process.
4. Set the smoker to 200F using the Bradley Flavor Bisquettes in either Maple, Alder or Pacific Blend.
5. Smoke the smelt for approximately 3-4 hours or until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145F.