This recipe makes a spicy seafood dinner packed with flavour from the smoked sausage. Serve over rice.
• 1/2 cup oil
• 1/2 cup flour
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 green pepper, cored and diced
• 3 celery stalks, diced
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
• 2 cups sliced okra
• 8-10 cups beef broth (chicken, vegetable broth or seafood stock also work fine)
• 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
• cooked rice
1. With the oil and flour, make a medium dark roux. Add the oil to a pot and heat on medium/low heat. Whisk in the flour, a little at a time and cook, whisking constantly, until the roux becomes smooth with no lumps. Continue to cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the roux reaches a hazelnut brown colour.
2. Stir in the onion, pepper and celery and cook at medium high heat for 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the smoked sausage and okra. Cook, stirring often, for another 8-10 minutes.
4. Add the broth, tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Let the gumbo cook at a very low boil for about 1 – 2 hours
5. With about 20-30 minutes prior to serving, stir in the shrimp.
6. Ladle the gumbo in a bowl and top or stir in a couple spoonfuls of rice.