Five-spice blend is a mixture of star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Szechuan pepper and fennel. It works its subtle magic in the rub. Perfect to complement the meatiness of beef short ribs. Better yet when you use mesquite wood to prepare this Asian short rib recipe.
4-6 beef short ribs, bone-in
½ cup Dijon mustard
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp kosher salt
½ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp five-spice blend
Bradley Flavor Bisquettes – Mesquite
- Mix together Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce for the slather in one bowl.
- Mix together spices for the rub in another bowl.
- Slather short ribs with (you guessed it) the slather, then coat in the rub. Leave in fridge for 2-3 hours to absorb flavours.
- Smoke short ribs bone side down (and meat side up) with Mesquite bisquettes for 4-5 hours on an oiled rack at 225-250°F.
- Check internal temperature of ribs, keep smoking ribs until an internal temperature of 185°F is reached.
- Remove from smoker and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.