This smoked chicken and corn chowder, with tender chicken chunks, potatoes and frozen corn make in an incredibly comforting soup. It’s so easy to prepare, that you can’t go wrong with it.
• 10 cups water
• 1 smoked chicken carcass
• 1 bay leaf
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1 small onion, peeled and diced
• 1 red pepper, cored and diced
• 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
• 2 cups smoked chicken meat, cubed
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 1/2 cups 10% cream
1. In a large dutch oven or pot, add the water, smoked chicken carcass, bay leaf and garlic cloves. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 1 1/2 – 2 hours to develop a nice broth. Strain the broth and discard the carcass, bay leaf and garlic.
2. Pour 6-7 cups of broth back into the pot along with the onion, red pepper, potatoes and corn.
3. Bring the soup back to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for about 20 or until the cubed potatoes are soft.
4. Stir in the cubed smoked chicken, spices and cream. Let the soup simmer for about 15 more minutes.
5. Serve hot.