The original recipe to shortbread usually asks for just four ingredients, butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and flour. The secret to making a delicious shortbread is using high quality butter. Once you start with that, the variations are endless. Try this simple, savory, 5-ingredient cookie recipe with smoked Cheddar, or any other smoked cheese. It’s flaky, buttery and cheesy, with a bite! For a different savory shortbread, try red chili flakes or other chilies or peppers instead of jalapeño.
1 cup butter
½ cup sugar
2½ cups flour
1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
2. Slowly beat in the flour, until it fully combines and is an even consistency.
3. Mix in the smoked cheddar cheese and minced jalapeño pepper.
4. Divide the cookie dough in thirds. Roll each portion into an 8 inch log. Chill the logs in the fridge for 2 hours.
5. Preheat oven for 350 F.
6. Cut each log into ½ inch cookie slices as seen in the photo above. You should get about 16 slices per log. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.