These Smoked Cheddar and Jalapeno Scones are not difficult to make. Just be careful not to over mix the batter. The scones are ready when just starting to brown on top. Best served straight away, however these are also very tasty when served at room temperature.
2 Cups all-purpose flour
3 Tsp baking powder
½ Tsp salt
½ Cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 Cup smoked cheddar cheese, grated
½ Cup pickled jalapeno slices, minced
¾ Cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold butter to the bowl and using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour. Continue until a crumbly consistency is produced. Stir in the grated smoked cheddar cheese and minced pickled jalapeno peppers.
- Pour the milk into the flour and stir together with your hands or with a baking spatula, until combined. Work gently and be careful to not over-mix the batter.
- Spread a little flour on a flat work surface. Dump the batter onto the floured work surface and pat down to make a 7 inch square. Cut into 4 quarters. Cut each quarter into 4 more quarters.
- Place the wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. The scones should be just starting to brown on top.
- Best served straight away, however these are also very tasty when served at room temperature.
Recipe by: Steve Cylka