2 Cups all-purpose flour
3 Tsp baking powder
½ Tsp salt
½ Cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 Cup smoked cheddar cheese, grated
½ Cup pickled jalapeno slices, minced
¾ Cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold butter to the bowl and using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour. Continue until a crumbly consistency is produced. Stir in the grated smoked cheddar cheese and minced pickled jalapeno peppers.
- Pour the milk into the flour and stir together with your hands or with a baking spatula until combined. Work gently and be careful to not over-mix the batter.
- Spread a little flour on a flat work surface. Dump the batter onto the floured work surface and pat down to make a 7 inch square. Cut into 4 quarters. Cut each quarter into 4 more quarters.
- Place the wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. The scones should be just starting to brown on top.
- Best served straight away, however these are also very tasty when served at room temperature.
Recipe by: Steve Cylka