Fire up the smoker, its soup time! This is one of those recipes that you can literally use as a base and play with it from there. I find that adding a Wild Protein and Stock to it, really adds to the depth and body of the flavor. Feel free to use what you want, but I really love Bison with this. The sweetness of the Bison plays well with the Butternut Squash and Apple used here!
1 Buttercup Squash (any squash will do) – seeded and peeled
1 Yellow Onion – peeled and diced
1 Apple – peeled and diced
1 Large Carrots – peeled and diced
2 cloves Garlic – smashed
1 Whole Birds Eye Chili – Stem removed
1 tbsp Cumin powder
1 tbsp Fresh Thyme
1 tsp Salt
4 Cups Bison Stock or whatever stock you wish to use
3-4 Bison Sausage – Casing Removed and cut into equal pieces
Garnish – Toasted Pine Nuts, Fresh Toasted Croutons, Fried Sage, Olive Oil
1. Start your Bradley Smoker to 320f (160C) and get your Beer Pucks rolling!
2. Get all your prepped Veg onto a rack or two and set aside. Cut your Bison Sausage into equal pieces, removing the casing, and using your hands to shape them into balls. Place the meatballs onto a rack. Once the smoker is at temp, add your racks and allow to cook for roughly 30-40 min. The internal temp of the meatball should be roughly 150-155f. Remove from the smoker and allow to cool.
3. In a pot, add your stock and all of the Smoked Vegetable. Allow to come to a simmer and cook till the Veg is fork tender.
4. Using an Immersion blender, blitz till absolutely smooth. This is going to take a couple of minutes. If the pureed dish becomes a bit thick, add a touch of Stock to help thin it out to the consistency you are looking for!
5. Add your seasoning, and taste. Adjust accordingly. Add your Bison meatballs!
6. Serve with the garnish of choice.
Recipe by: Cory Walby – Saturday night test kitchen