I recently got a Bradley Digital Smoker. Since then, I have been stocking up my freezer with anything I think will make for great smoking. After seeing all the half priced Arctic Char at the local grocery store, I decided to take advantage and see if it would be as good smoked as I had thought. I was not disappointed. Smoked char is as good as any smoked salmon I have had. This recipe also works great with Rainbow Trout, Coho Salmon, & Pickerel.
Pictures are from my first time smoking with this recipe where I had Char, Coho, Sockeye, & Pickerel all smoking at once. All turned out wonderful!
4 Cups Water
1/3 Cup Kosher Salt
1 Cup Brown Sugar
3/4 Cup Peach Schnapps
Original Maui Ribs Marinade Sauce
Ground Black Pepper
1. Cut char into 2 inch wide pieces and brine skin side up for 10-12 hours.
2. Wash fish off, pat dry with a towel, and place on wire rack in a cool place. Let sit for 2-3 hours.
3. Brush fish with Maui Ribs Marinade. Add fresh ground black pepper to your liking.
4. I used Hickory bisquettes as a personal preference, and began smoking the fish at 150 degrees for 2 hours, brushing the fish again after the 1st hour with Maui Ribs Marinade. Increase to 160 for 2 hours. Finish at 170 for 1 to 2 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 130/140 degrees.
5. Remove from smoker and let cool to room temp (about 1 hour) before vacuum-sealing.