This chili recipe is infused with campfire smokiness, by smoking the ground beef, onions and peppers.
1.5 lb beef, ground (I used chuck)
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups vegetable stock
½ cup Stout (or other dark, strong beer; I used Guinness)
2 Tbsp cayenne
2 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp celery seed
1 Tbsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
15g chopped dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
Cilantro and green onion
Bradley Flavor Bisquettes – Oak
- Preheat smoker with oak bisquettes to 250°F.
- Place the beef on an aluminum tray.
- Place the onions and bell peppers on a perforated aluminum tray.
- Place both trays in your preheated smoker and smoke for 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place beef, drippings and vegetables in casserole dish or Dutch oven.
- Add garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, stout and spices, then stir.
- Cook in oven uncovered for 1-1 ½ hours.
- Stir in beans and chocolate. Cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and green onions, then serve.