This recipe features a whole chicken cut to lay flat on the smoker. This way, seasoning and smoke can infuse the whole chicken. Use Premium Chili Cumin bisquettes to add an interesting layer of flavour.
1 Whole chicken
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tsp paprika
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tsp onion powder
1 Tsp dried oregano
½ Tsp cumin
½ Tsp ground black pepper
½ Tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tsp salt
1½ Tbsp white sugar
Bradley Flavor Bisquettes – Premium Chili Cumin
- Using kitchen shears, cut along each side of the backbone of the chicken. Remove the backbone and discard. Open up the chicken and cut into the cartilage and bone that is in between the breasts. Flip the chicken breast side up. Press down to flatten.
- Make the seasoning by mixing together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Rub the seasoning all over the chicken, including the inner cavity of the bird.
- Set up your smoker to 275°F using Premium Chili Cumin Bisquettes or another bisquette flavour of choice.
- Lay the chicken skin side up on a smoker rack and spread it out so that it is flat on the rack. Smoke the chicken for about 3 hours, or until the internal temperature is 165°F.
- Remove the chicken from the smoker and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe by: Steve Cylka