Seasoning for 5 lbs. (2.25 kg) of scallops meat
- 3 Tbsp. (45 ml) Bradley Demerara Cure (do not use more than this amount.)
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) white pepper
- 1 tsp. (10 ml) Garlic Powder
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
Note: If the meat weighs either more or less than 5 pounds (2.25 kg), the amount of cure mix applied must be proportional to that weight. For example, if the weight of the meat is 2 1/2 pounds (1.15 kg), then each ingredient, including the Bradley Cure, needs to be cut in half.
- Prepare the seasoning mixture. Add the scallops, and refrigerate it for the remainder of the day and overnight. Stir the meats from time to time during the curing period.
- The next morning, drain the cured scallop meat in a colander, and rinse briefly.
- Place the meat in wire-mesh smoking baskets.
- Dry the meat at 140°F (60°C) for 1 hour, or until the surface no longer feels damp. Do not use smoke. Agitate the meats occasionally while drying to insure that all surfaces become dry
- Discontinue using auxiliary heat. Cold smoke (or smoke at the lowest possible temperature) for 1 to 2 hours. The smoking is finished when the scallop meat takes on an attractive golden-brown coloration.
- At this point, the scalllop meats are ready to eat, but they will taste better if they are refrigerated overnight to allow the flavour to mellow. Many people like to apply olive oil while the meats are still warm.
Oiling the Scallops
If the meats are to be oiled, they should be oiled at room temperature immediately after smoking.
- To oil the scallops, place them in a glass or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add enough olive oil to coat the meat when the container is shaken, rolled, or turned upside down. About 1/4 to 1/2 cup of olive oil is usually adequate.
- Continue to agitate the container every few minutes for about one hour until most of the oil has been absorbed by the meats.
Note: If the salt taste is too mild, the next time you make this product, add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the ingredients list. If the salt taste is too strong, reduce the amount of Bradley Cure by about 1 teaspoon.