Ingredients for 10 lbs
2 1/2 gallons ice water
1 cup Cure #1
1 lb Salt
2 cups Powdered Dextrose
- Use pieces of top or bottom rounds, about 4-5″ thick.
- Pump the meat with brine, 10% of the weight of the meat.
- Then generously rub the meat with cracked black pepper
- Lay it down in an aging container very tightly, with a weighted wooden cover to press the meat down.
- Add just enough brine to cover the meat and let it age for 7 days at 38-40ºF (3-4C)
- Remove the meat and place it into a stockinette. You can also lay it flat if a smokehouse screen is available.
- The smokehouse should be preheated to 130ºF (54.4C) with dampers wide open until the surface of the meat is dry.
- Then raise temperature to 155ºF (68.3 C) with damper 1/4 open. Smoke at this temperature for 4 hours.
- Shut the smoke and raise the temperature to 210ºF (98.9C), until the internal temperature of the meat is 165ºF (73.8C) .
- Place the meat in a cooler for 24 hours before slicing.