- 2 one lbs. center cut Salmon fillets pin bones removed skin on.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, (substitute non-iodized table or pickling salt)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, just crushed
- 1-tablespoon white peppercorns just crushed. (Substitute black peppercorns)
- 1/4 cup aquavit or vodka,
- 2 ounces chopped fresh dill, (out of season I use dried dill).
- Mix sugar, salt, coriander seed, and peppercorns.
- Place fillets, skin side down, on plastic wrap and cover flesh side with spice mix.
- Spread dill over spice mix and pour half of aquavit (or vodka) on each fillet.
- Place one fillet on top of other, thick back of one fillet over thin belly of other.
- Wrap sandwich tightly with plastic wrap, wrap again for several layers.
- Put fillet sandwich in large enough glass pan.
- Place smaller glass pan on top of fillet sandwich and weight with a 6-pack of [beverage]
- Place in refrigerator.
- Every 12 hours turn fillet sandwich, top to bottom. Keep refrigerated and weighted.
- After 3 or 4 days unwrap fillets and rinse off.
- Dry in refrigerator for a few hours
- Cold smoke, 40 minutes, vent almost closed.
- Before serving age for a day or so – freeze for later use.
- To serve slice thin, close to horizontal, cutting towards where fish head used to be.