Garlic scapes are the stems of the garlic plant, and have a milder flavour than garlic. They are usually grilled or made into a pesto. This recipe combines both ideas into a smoky sauce that can be tossed with pasta, spread on sandwiches, used as a pizza sauce or to garnish a soup. For a different variation, try a different type of nuts, like pine nuts or cashews, instead of almonds.
1 lb garlic scapes
½ cup almonds
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup olive oil
Juice & zest of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper
1. Slice scapes lengthwise.
2. Cold smoke the scapes with Bradley Smoker Apple Bisquettes for 2 hours (the scapes will have yellowed slightly).
3. Cut the scapes into 1 inch pieces.
4. In a food processor, chop almonds into small pieces.
5. Add garlic scapes, Parmesan cheese, ½ cup olive oil, lemon juice and zest, then puree.
6. Slowly add remaining olive oil until desired consistency is reached.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.