Recipe by Chef Ted Reader
Can there really be the perfect breakfast sandwich? We think so: Chef Ted Reader’s Breakfast Slider recipe includes smoked frittata, smoked peameal bacon (CANADIAN BACON, people, what’s to not love?), and smoked grape tomatoes.
Try these amazing breakfast sandwiches for brunch next weekend … we can pretty much guarantee there won’t be any leftovers.
Watch Chef Ted Reader teach you his tricks and tips on smoking the perfect bacon breakfast sandwich on the Bradley Smoker.
Let’s Get Smoking!
Important note: This recipe has THREE major parts. Make sure you read the entire recipe!
Smoking Temperature: 240°F
Part 1: Smoked Grape Tomatoes
- Bradley Smoker Jerky Rack (if you do not have one of these racks then line your current racks with a little aluminum foil so that the grape tomatoes won’t fall through the spaces on the rack)
- 1 pint Grape tomatoes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Set up Bradley Smoker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Rinse grape tomatoes under cold water.
- Place grape tomatoes evenly spaced onto jerky rack. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Place rack in smoker and smoke grape tomatoes for 2-3 hours until the tomatoes start to soften and the skin gets a little wrinkly.
- Remove from smoker and allow to cool completely.
- Use smoked grape tomatoes to make smoky BBQ sauces, garnish for salads or in our case for the smoked frittata.
Part 2: Smoked Peameal with Beer and Tomato Clam Cocktail injection
- 1 large Self sealing food storage bag
- Hickory smoke pieces (pellets, pieces or chunks)
- 1 Injection syringe
- 1 x 1.5 lb Boneless cured pork loin Peameal bacon roast of pork
- 1+ 1 bottle Beer (355 mL)
- 1+ 1 bottle Tomato clam cocktail (355 mL)
- 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp Ted’s World Famous BBQ Bone Dust™ BBQ Seasoning
- 1/4 bunch Fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup Ted’s World Famous BBQ Crazy Canuck Sticky Chicken and Rib Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 4 large Eggs
- 4 Hamburger buns
- 1 large Ripe tomato, sliced in 4 thick slices
- 1 medium Sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Your favourite bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- Rinse the Peameal bacon roast under cold water to remove the cornmeal crust. Pat dry with paper towelling.
- Place roast in self sealing food storage bag. Add beer and tomato clam cocktail pouring off 1 cup of mixture to reserve to inject into the peameal roast prior to it smoking. Seal bag removing as much air as possible and gently massage to mix well, refrigerate for 24 hours, turning twice daily to insure even marinating.
- Prepare your smoker according to manufacturer’s instructions and set temperature for 240°F.
- Remove Peameal bacon roast from marinade, discarding leftover marinade. Season Peameal bacon roast liberally Bone Dust™ BBQ Seasoning and set aside.
- Suck up the beer/clamato mixture into your injection syringe and inject into the Peameal bacon roast. Repeat.
- Place Peameal bacon roast onto smoker rack in the middle of the smoker. Place thermometer probe into the center of the pork roast and set temperature for an internal temperature of 160°F.
- 1 1/2 hours prior to the peameal being completely cooked prepare the frittata.
Part 3: Smoked Frittata with Aged Cheddar, Smoked Tomatoes and Thyme
- 1 Bradley Smoker rack
- Aluminum foil
- Non-stick spray
- 6 Extra large eggs
- 2 cup Grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp Fresh herbs (thyme and basil), chopped
- 1 cup Crispy fried onions
- 1 cup Smoked grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2-3 Green onions, chopped
- Wrap the Bradley Smoker rack tightly in aluminum foil making sure there are no holes in the foil. I usually wrap twice to be safe. Spray foil liberally with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large glass bowl, crack 6 eggs, whisk until lightly beaten. Add shredded cheese, herbs, green onion and crispy fried onions.
- Pour mixture into foil lined tray. Sprinkle with quartered pieces of smoked grape tomatoes.
- Place in smoker and smoke for approximately 1 1/2 hours until the frittata is set.
- Meanwhile combine bbq sauce and maple syrup. Microwave in a microwave safe dish for 30-45 seconds on medium high heat until warmed through.
- Remove from smoker.
- Remove Peameal from smoker.
- Toast slider buns.
- Slice Peameal.
- Slice frittata.
- Assemble sliders.
- Drizzle with bbq sauce.