Smoked cheese by itself is a popular bite, but not many know how to combine it in a dish so it adds that little extra to something so simple as a grilled sandwich.
Try out our Smoked Cheddar and Ham grilled sandwich recipe, and you’ll find yourself smoking up some Cheddar every weekend!
2 pounds cheddar cheese
2 slices rye bread
4 slices ham
1/3 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Directions for the Smoked Cheddar:
1. Cut the cheese so that the pieces are about 2” x 2” x 1“
2. If possible, hook up the cold smoke adaptor to the Bradley Smoker.
3. Set the smoker so that the temperature stays below 90 F, using Bradley apple or Bradley cherry wood bisquettes.
4. Place cheese on a magic mat that is resting on a smoker rack. Keep the cheese about 1 inch apart.
5. Smoke the cheese for 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours. The longer the cheese smokes, the deeper the smoke flavour the cheddar cheese will have.
6. After smoking, place the cheese in ziptop bags or wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for about 2 weeks before eating.
Directions: Smoked Grilled Sandwich
1. Spread butter on one side of each slice of rye bread and spread Dijon mustard on the other side.
2. Make the sandwich with the ham and cheese in the slices of bread with the butter facing out.
3. Grill the sandwich on a skillet or griddle until golden brown and the cheese is oozing out.
4. Serve hot.
By Steve Cylka