Perfect for those who don’t like veggies, this Smoked Butternut Squash Soup is irresistible. The mild seasoning pairs well with a balsamic vinegar reduction, fresh or dried sage leaves or smoked bacon.
1 Butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Teaspoon kosher salt
1 Teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Medium onion, chopped
1 Pear; peeled, cored, chopped
3 Garlic cloves, chopped
3 Carrots, chopped
5 Sticks of celery, chopped
4 (or more) Cups vegetable / chicken stock
1 Teaspoon chili powder
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Bradley Flavor Bisquettes – Apple
Balsamic vinegar reduction
Fresh or dried sage leaves
- Preheat your Bradley Smoker with Apple Flavor Bisquettes to 225°F.
- Prepare the butternut squash to be smoked.
- Toss squash cubes in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on an aluminum baking tray and smoke until tender and caramelizing (up to 3 hours), remove from smoker.
- In a large pot sauté onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add carrots, celery, and pear to pot, and sauté for a couple minutes.
- Add stock, squash, and chili powder to pot, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Purée soup with a hand blender and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is or with a garnish as listed above.
Recipe by: Lena Clayton