I decided to try my recipe with oak wood smoked short ribs. What a step up from just simmering. Here’s what I did.
For the rub, you’ll use 3/4 cup paprika, 1/4 cup each sugar, salt–kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Then 2 tablespoons each chili power, cayenne powder, onion powder, garlic powder and olive oil.
You’ll need 3 – 4 pounds beef short ribs, 1 cup red wine, one 28 oz can of roma tomatoes, one 8 oz can of tomato paste, 1 medium onion, chopped, 2 garlic cloves, minced, 1 tbls Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp oregano and herbs de Provence and 4 large russet potatoes – peeled
- Apply the rub to the short ribs and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the smoker, then place the short ribs in @ 210 F for 4 hours, using oak or pecan wood.
- While the short ribs are smoking, prepare the simmering sauce.
- Cook onions and garlic in oil until soft.
- Pour the roma tomatoes in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a pot and add the onions, garlic, red wine, tomato paste, herbs and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- After 4 hours, remove the short ribs from the smoker.
- Place the ribs in a pan and pour the simmering sauce over them.
- Cover the pan and return to the smoker (or oven) @ 250 F for another 3-4 hours.
- Add the potatoes for the last 1 1/2 hours.
* This rub is Wild Willy’s Number one-derful rub (from Smoke and Spice) If you don’t have this book you need to get a copy of it.