Prep Time: 20 minutes Serves: 6-8
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 1 Cup chopped celery
- 1 Cup chopped carrots
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Cups smoked beef, finely chopped
- 6 Cups water
- 6 Cups beef broth
- 1 28 Oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1½ Cups dry pearly barley
- 2 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot, cook onions, celery, and carrots with the butter. Once the onions and celery are tender (about 6-8 minutes), stir in the beef.
- Cook, stirring often, for another 5 minutes.
- Add the water, beef broth, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Let the soup cook at a low rolling boil for 30-45 minutes. The barley should be fully cooked and the beef should be tender.
Recipe by: Steve Cylka