- 1 kg (2 lb) whole almonds
- 500 ml (2 c) kosher salt
- 1 to 1.2 l (4 to 5 c) warm water
- In a large bowl, mix salt with warm water until dissolved.
- Add almonds and soak for 24 hours.
- Drain almonds and allow to air dry.
- Place one layer of cheesecloth on smoker racks.
- Spread almonds evenly on cheesecloth.
- Place racks in the Bradley Smoker.
- Place one empty rack lined with cheesecloth in the top rack position.
- Using Hickory flavour bisquettes, smoke/roast almonds at approximately 90°C (200°F) for about 3 hours.
- Stir nuts around every ten minutes to ensure even exposure.
- At 1-1/2 hours alternate rack positions to allow even smoking.
- Cool and store in airtight containers.
Smoked Almonds make an addictive snacking treat. A great hit at parties, they also make a welcome addition as hiking snacks. Other nuts, such as cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts or pecans can also be smoked, but make sure to stir nuts as you smoke to guarantee an evenly smoked product. For Sugar-spiced Smoked Nuts beat an egg white with a tsp of water until frothy. Remove nuts from smoker after 2 hours and toss in the egg white, then toss in 250 ml (1 c) sugar and 15 ml (1 tbsp) pumpkin pie spice. Continue smoking process for last hour. Use Hickory or mesquite wood for better results.