Tomorrow starts the Oktober Fest in Germany. This is a festivity that is close to the hearts of most Germans and people around the world. The Oktober Fest consists mainly out of two things: drinking a lot of beer and eat a lot of bradwurst.
So here is your recipe for the Oktoberfest weekend: Smoked Bradwurst!!
5 Lbs Pork Shoulder
5 Lbs Venison (elk, Deer, Antelope) or (Veal)
1 Pt. Heavy Whip Cream
1 Lrg Egg
3 Tbs Salt
2 Tbs Sugar
1 Tbs White Ground Pepper
1Tsp Mace Ground
1 Tsp Coriander,Ground
1 Tsp Nutmeg, ground
32 mm Hog Casings
Smoked Venison Bratwurst
1. Grind all meat through a 3/8 plate. Put ground meat into a shallow pan and refrigerate at 38-40 degrees for an hour.
2. Stir the cream, egg and all the remaining ingredients and thoroughly mix together. Remove meat paste from refrigerator and mix all together thoroughly.
3. Stuff into Hog casing twisting at 4-5 in lengths.
4. Refrigerate sausage overnight to develop flavour.
5. Move to pre-heated 130 F Bradley Smoker. Smoke at 130 F for one hour and raise temperature to 140 F to smoke for additional one hour. Cut the smoke off and raise the temperature to 170 F. When internal temp off sausage is at 160 F sausage is done.
6. Remove from Bradley Smoker and put into ice water bath. Take it out of ice bath when internal temperature of sausage lowers to 110 degrees.
NOTE: A Bradley Digital Thermometer is required for monitoring the internal temperature of sausage. This will prevent you from opening the door of your
smoker, causing heat loss when checking the internal temperature of the sausage.