Learn here how to make Harissa paste. It’s a Tunisian hot chili pepper, that you can use as a dip, or as marinade. In this recipe, we have used it to marinate these Smoked Lamb Shank. Serve with pita bread, mashed potatoes, or with couscous to follow the Moroccan tradition.
- 4 Lamb Shanks
For Harissa Paste:
- 6-8 Bird’s eye chilies (or another spicy chili pepper), stems removed
- 1 Bulb garlic, skinned
- 1 Tbsp coriander
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1½ Tbsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- ½ Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp sherry or red wine vinegar
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- ½ Cup olive oil
- Bradley Flavor Bisquettes – Premium Chili Cumin Bisquettes
1. Blend together all ingredients for the Harissa paste in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add more oil if necessary to reach the right consistency.
2. Rub lamb shanks generously in Harissa paste and let marinate overnight (or a minimum of two hours before smoking).
3. Preheat your Bradley Smoker to 250°F with Premium Chili Cumin Bisquettes.
4. Place lamb shanks directly into the smoker and let smoke for 3 hours, or until an internal temperature of 145°F is reached.
5. Let rest for 5-10 minutes, then serve.