A classic Sunday beef roast recipe! Smoked low and slow for a great weekend family gathering.
- 3 to 3-1/2 lb beef top round, rump or sirloin tip roast
- 2 Cups beef broth
- 1 Large russet potato, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 Carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 Celery stalks, cut into pieces
- 2 Thyme sprigs
- 1 Small onion, cut into pieces
- 3 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 Teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon cumin
- Rub the roast on all sides with the olive oil and place in a roasting pan, fat-side up. In a small bowl, mix the rub ingredients. Season the meat well with this mixture and pour the beef broth in the bottom of the pan.
- Set your smoker temperature to 320°F (160°C) and preheat it. Cook the roast for 40 to 50 minutes or until the outside is seared. You can use hickory bisquettes for this recipe.
- Reduce the temperature to 225°F (107°C). Add the vegetables and thyme into the broth, cover with foil and continue cooking for about 2 to 3 hours, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 135°F (57°C) for medium-rare.
- Remove from the smoker and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.