A household classic for a Sunday family gathering. This smoked pot roast is tender and full of flavor.
- 3 lb Chuck roast
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Cups peeled pearl onions
- 2 Cups halved red bliss potatoes
- 2 Cups carrots, cut into slices
- 2 Cups beef stock
- 1 Cup red wine
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 Teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 2 Dried chipotle peppers
- Combine the onion powder, kosher salt, onion powder, and pepper and rub the roast with mixture.
- Set your smoker temperature to 180°F (82°C) and preheat it.
- Smoke the roast for 1 1/2 hours. You can use pecan bisquettes for this recipe.
- Then, remove the roast from the smoker, you’re going to finish cooking it on the grill. Preheat your grill to 275°F (135°C).
- Add the smoked roast, onions, potatoes, carrots, beef stock, red wine, thyme, ancho chile powder, rosemary, and chipotle peppers to a large Dutch oven.
- Place the Dutch oven inside your grill and braise the roast for 4 to 5 hours or until the meat is tender.