- 1 Boneless pork butt roast (Boston Butt.)
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup Morton’s Tender Quick
- 1/2 Cup honey (maple syrup or molasses can be substituted)
- Mix the brown sugar and Tender Quick thoroughly. Slice the roast in half horizontally.
- Thoroughly coat both halves with the sugar/Tender Quick mixture and rub in well.
- Shake off the excess and put the roasts into large plastic ziplock bags.
- Put in the refrigerator for 6-7 days to cure.
- On the 3rd day pour off any pooled liquid, flip the bag over and return to the fridge.
- On the last day remove the meat from the bag and rinse thoroughly in cold water.
- Soak in cold water for 2 hours to remove some of the saltiness.
- After soaking remove and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat the honey, molasses or maple syrup, just enough to thin and brush on the meat. Smoke at 200°F. until reaching 140°F in the thickest part. Cool in the fridge. When ready to eat, slice to your desired thickness and use as you would regular bacon.
Suggested smoking wood: hickory, cherry, apple, pecan or oak.
The Bacon came out great!. Its so lean and the flavour is fantastic. I can not believe how easy this is with the BS. The Bacon cost me about 2.50 lb to make. That’s a lot less than the grocery store and its a lot leaner so it goes farther. Plus the entertainment value is priceless.
From: Phone Guy