Everybody agrees that homemade tomato sauce is far better than any store-bought ones. But if you make your sauce with smoked tomatoes, it will be just perfect.
4 Medium tomatoes
4 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp butter
1 Medium onion, diced
3 Garlic cloves
1½ Cups heavy cream
½ Cup Parmesan cheese
¼ Cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces
Salt and pepper, to taste
500 g fusilli pasta, cooked according to directions
- Set the smoker to 275°F using Bradley Flavor Bisquettes of choice (Apple, Cherry or Maple work great for smoking vegetables).
- Slice tomatoes in half and place them – cut side up – on a smoker rack. Brush the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the rack in the Bradley Smoker and smoke them for about 2 hours.
- Remove the tomatoes from the smoker and cool to room temperature. Peel the skin off and discard. Roughly chop the smoked tomatoes into chunks.
- In a skillet set to medium heat, melt butter, and add the onion and garlic. Saute the onions and garlic, stirring often for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add chopped smoked tomatoes, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and fresh torn basil.
- Toss the cooked fusilli pasta with the sauce and serve topped with some more Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Recipe by: Steve Cylka