- 2.5 kg (5 lb) Steelhead fillets, skin on
- 60 g (2 oz) coarse ground black pepper
- Fresh leaves from 2 sprigs of oregano
- 120 ml (4 oz) molasses
- 120 ml (4 oz) gin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion sliced/shaved thinly
- 30 ml (1 oz) freshly crushed ginger juice
- 30 ml (1 oz) coarse salt
- Mix marinade together in a bowl.
- Remove all the bones you can see from the fillets.
- Place marinade in a casserole dish and add the Steelhead fillets flesh side down.
- Cover the Steelhead with plastic wrap then a piece of wood. Weigh it down with rocks or heavy tin cans. The idea is to put pressure on the fish to get the liquid out of the flesh.
- Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Place the fillets on lightly-oiled smoker racks.
- Put racks into the Bradley Smoker in the highest position away from the heat.
- Using Alder flavour bisquettes, cold smoke the fish for approximately 2 hours making certain the damper is wide open.
- Chill the fillets
- Slice as thinly as possible and serve with cheese and crackers or bagels, cream cheese and capers.