- 4 large quail; split at the breast
- 1 lemon; quartered
- 8 – 12 slices of Bacon
- Black ground pepper (fresh ground preferred).
- Kitchen twine (aka butcher’s twine)
- Start with 4 nice sized quail split at the breast seasoned with some black pepper.
- While smoker is preheating to 220°F; place one lemon quarter inside each breast cavity, fold and tie with kitchen twine.
- Wrapped in bacon and secure bacon with toothpicks. Place into the smoker at 220°F with some kind of smoke!
- Smoke/cook for 3 hours; applying smoke the full time.
- Allow to rest 15 minutes. Remove toothpicks, string and lemon prior to serving.
Comment by WesTexaSmoker: I’ve grilled them laying flat and they turn out very well! But these were amazing; the better half looked like a barbarian digging into hers! She said it was the best ever! She’s a keeper, and definitely gonna be doing these again!