I decided to try my recipe with oak wood smoked short ribs. What a step up from just simmering. Here’s what I did.
- 3/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt–kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili power
- 2 tablespoons cyenne poder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 – 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 28 oz can of roma tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can of tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbls worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- 4 large russet potatoes – peeled
- Apply the rub to the short ribs and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the smoker, then place the short ribs in @ 210F for 4 hours using oak or pecan wood.
- While the short ribs are smoking, prepare the simmering sauce.
- Cook onions and garlic in oil until soft.
- Pour the roma tomatoes in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a pot and add the onions, garlic, red wine, tomato paste, herbs and worchestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- After 4 hours, remove the short ribs from the smoker.
- Place the ribs in a pan and pour the simmering sauce over them.
- Cover the pan and return to the smoker (or oven) @ 250F for another 3-4 hours.
- Add the potatoes for the last 1 1/2 hours.
* This rub is Wild Willy’s Number one-derful rub (from Smoke and Spice) If you don’t have this book you need to get a copy of it.