These pictures are of Jaegar’s Beef sticks. His seasoning is a commercial one from FW Witt. To that end I added a standard Beef Stick Cure I’ve used a few times. Nothing real fancy but not to bad either.
STANDARD BEEF STICK CURE
- 5 lb. lean ground beef
- 5 rounded tsp. Morton Tender Quick
- 2 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
- 2 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 2 tsp. ClearLiquid Smoke
- 1 tsp. hickory salt
- Jaeger used 21 mm. mahogany collagen for the casings. They were 20 inches long and this facilitated a 10 inches hang on each side of the dowel rods he used.
- Smoked for 3.5 hours using hickory – internal temperature of 165° F.
- For the first 2 to 2 1/2 hours smoke the sticks at a temperature of 150°F to 160°F.
- Then finish up with a smoking temperature of 180°F. These pictures are outstanding!