This is my favorite Pistachios. Use whatever variety of Pistachio you can fine. The better grade and size, the better. Try to get unsalted and unflavored. Dry Roasted is best.
- Lime Juice
- Fresh Crushed Sea Salt, Coarse
Type of Wood
- 2 hours @ 150 to 200 degrees
- Load a paper plate of the pistachios, enough that you can hand mix.
- Then drizzle a liberal amount of lime juice over the nuts on the plate, and hand mix to coat all the nuts.
- Load another paper plate with the fresh coarse sea salt.
- Using your hands, move the nuts from the juice plate to the salt place and mix with your hands.
- Once your happy with the salt distribution, move the nuts to a Jerky Rack (Jerky Racks work best due to the smaller grid size) if not use an screen on the regular racks to reduce fall out.
- Then put the nuts in the smoker and start smoke and temp build up (Try this with a un-wamred smoker first ramping up to temp so you don’t over-roast the nuts) to your target temp.
- Let them sit for 2 days, then enjoy.
BTW, this works great with almonds as well.
Johnny @ Marylnd (DelMarVa to be exact)